Scali Announces Fully Integrated Cluster Management and MPI Solutions with Support for Leading Interconnect Technologies
Single Enterprise Cluster Solution Offers Rapid Time-to-Start, System Reliability, Interconnect Compatibility and High-End Performance
Oslo, Norway, January 22, 2003 - Scali, a leader in high performance clustering solutions, announced today the release of their next generation cluster management (Scali ManageT) and message passing interface (Scali MPI Connect T) solutions. The offerings give companies the unique ability to leverage a single integrated solution to run and manage multiple, mixed interconnect environments, such as Gigabit Ethernet, TCP/IP, Myrinet, SCI and InfinibandT.
Cluster users require the flexibility to select the ideal interconnect to run their applications without the burdens associated with using a wide variety of solutions from a number of vendors and open source communities. As the clustering market matures and grows, it is increasingly important that organizations and research institutions can leverage solutions that are rapid to install, efficient to manage and provide the functionality required to run on leading interconnect technologies. Currently, Scali MPI Connect is available for TCP/IP, Ethernet based technology (using a Direct Ethernet Transport (DET) module) and Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI). Support for Myrinet and Infiniband are planned for the first quarter of 2003.
The next generation of the MPI implementation is based on Scali's successful ScaMPI solution for Linux clusters. The Scali MPI Connect implementation is built on a direct data transfer model that leverages the standardized API intermediate layer based on the Direct Access Transport (DAT) specification. Highly optimized algorithms for message passing through the direct data transport mechanism eliminates overhead and reduces latency. Scali MPI Connect is fully integrated and compatible with the leading underlying interconnect hardware, which enables customers to select the best solution for their applications. The MPI includes a directly attached driver for channel bonded Gigabit Ethernet, enabling high performance clusters to run over commodity interconnect technology.
The cluster management solution, Scali Manage, enables rapid installation and configuration of clusters including the operating system, middleware, communication modules, third party applications and user data. Companies benefit from having their clusters up and running quickly, reducing the total cost traditionally associated with cumbersome installations. The clusters and applications are brought online quickly and the organization is able to actively predict and prevent system failures through advanced monitoring and alarms. Scali Manage provides a centralized point of installation and ongoing management for clusters, applications, interconnects and industry-standard hardware platforms.
"There is a clear shift towards clustering solutions that reduce complexity and increase efficiency. We have also seen the growing demand for a single integrated solution that runs independent of the interconnect, application and platform," said Håkon O. Bugge, vice president of development at Scali AS. "Scali Manage and Scali MPI Connect address the industry's need for an integrated solution that offers advanced functionality, interconnect compatibility, leading performance and a greater return on their IT investment."
Scali MPI ConnectT features include:
- Dynamic binding to operator- or user-selected interconnects
- Support for key interconnects and standards, including TCP/IP, Direct over Ethernet, SCI, Myrinet (in development) and Infiniband (in development)
- Single binary, multiple interconnect architecture enables single instances of ISV applications to be interconnect independent
- Channel bonding and out-of-order package handling in the DET enables near linear scalability
- Support for IA32 and IA64 processing architectures
- Transparency to transient network errors, interconnect resets or change of routing tables
- Dynamic selection of optimal transport medium at runtime
- Failover between interfaces by automatic switching to alternate networks
- Built-in tracing and timing facilities for performance tuning and debugging of parallel codes
- Integration with the Etnus' Total View and GNU gdb debuggers and the Pallas' Vampir MPI analysis tool
- Full compliance with the MPI 1.2 specification from the Message Passing Interface Forum
Scali ManageT features include:
- Installation, reinstallation and configuration of the operating system, middleware, communication modules, third party applications and user data
- Ability to manage multiple and mixed interconnect environments
- Resource management, system monitoring and alarms, job management, remote out-of-band operations and software distribution - functionality
- Consistent interface regardless of interconnect or cluster
- Monitoring of variables, such as, CPU load, traffic, disk space, swap usage, fan-speed and temperature
- Parallel shell tools for cluster wide command execution
- Interface to any external data source including SNMP
- GUI and command line interfaces for system administrators and application users
- 2D and 3D bar and histogram graphs and charts
Scali is a leader in delivering scalable, high-performance cluster software and solutions. Companies and institutions are able to leverage high performance and reliable parallel processing platforms while substantially reducing their technology investment and improving their price performance ratio. Scali has strategic relationships with industry leaders such as Dell, Fujitsu Siemens Computers, HP and Intel. Customers include companies such as DaimlerChrysler, Lockheed Martin and Rolls-Royce. Founded in 1997, Scali has received venture funding from Four Seasons Venture, Intel Capital, Kongsberg Group and SND Invest. The company is headquartered in Oslo, Norway with sales and support presence in France, Germany, Great Britain and the United States and world-wide distribution capabilities through global and local system integrators. Additional information is available at www.scali.com.
+47 22 62 89 84